Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Pop It!

Hump Day.  Yes, baby!

Today I am over at Beth's blog for her Take Two Series.  

Would love it if you stopped by!

And over here ... I have a little DIY on Staining your Floors.

Well, actually My Idea of a DIY, which refers to what to you need to understand when someone else is staining your floors so that you can sound like you know what you are talking about but don't have to do it yourself because you have other more pressing things to do and things like this are left to the professionals!!




If you follow me on IG you already saw that I was working on stain colors with my Main Floor Man Bill.

We made the decision to mix two stains to achieve the darker color on the right.

Kind of like Goldilocks.
Left, Too Red.
Middle, Too Brown.
Right.  Just the right Mix!

This whole VOC thing.  Yes, I do care ... but you have to admit this has taken our paints and stains and diluted them.  They don't have the pigment any longer that gave that wonderful, deep and saturated color that makes us all swoon when we see it.

Here's the abbreviated definition.


Most deep stains are "500" ... this means little bitty color particles and higher VOC's.
"250" is the number of more readily available and lower VOC's (and less costly).
But "250" means the color particles are BIGGER.
Which means Less absorption into whatever you are putting it on.

Here's the solution.


The POP!

Water down (lightly) your wood before you apply the stain.
The wood acts like when it was alive ... the little fibers open up "Pop" to soak in the water ... and when you apply the stain the larger or "250" particles have a larger opening to soak into.


Via
Giving a more rich, deep and luxurious look!  No lie.  

The look we achieved ... not too dark or too red.
And more depth.

Just right.


Next time you are looking at floor stains, Make it POP!

Making the World More Beautiful.  One Room at a Time.

xo,

kim

15 comments:

  1. Great info, something I had never heard before. That's why is good to call in the pros! Love the color you chose!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I whole heartily AGREE! I love your final color... as I was looking at the samples that was the one I was going back to every time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, great advice Kim! Loved your Take Two over at Beth's!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So that's what a pop is! Thanks Kim! I love the stain on your floors, love that the grain is shown more and actually 'pops' too !

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree you almost always have to blend to come up with the best Great advice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really beautiful shade Kim!

    xoxo
    Karena
    Kansas City Culture

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so good to know - thanks for sharing about the POP Kim! Also I love the color you came up with! So pretty. My floors are beyond desperate and I cannot wait to do them over after seeing your beauties!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved your Take Two post! And your floors look PERFECT!! So excited about your new house!!

    XOXO,
    The Glam Pad

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your floors! Great informative post and tip, new to me! I'd love to redo our floors. Heck, I'd love to rip out all the carpet we have and do 100% hardwood. How lucky you are to have a fresh start! Xo Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think I may need to read this a few more times. I love the results. There is nothing like hardwood floors.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is a great tip! Never knew! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I need to bookmark this- when it comes time to stain my floors I will totally be reading this over and over!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...