Monday, October 24, 2011

For the love of ... Hydrangeas

Blue hydrangeas are my favorite summer flower.   I wish I had a photo to share with you ... the enormous blue hydrangea that was at the back door of my Nannie Murphy's home in Alabama.  I was little ... it seemed the size of the house.  She never did anything with it ... it just bloomed and bloomed ... and right there my romance with hydrangeas began!  I was and still am fascinated by the big blooms that get so heavy they have to lay on the ground. The big blue flowers made up of teeny flowers.


And while I love the hydrangeas of Summer ... I am even more in love with the hydrangeas of Fall!  You will find dried ones everywhere in my home ... they make me smile, they get whisked around the house by my dogs tails, I am constantly picking up little leaves ... and I don't care!

These "standard" hydrangeas you have to be careful with ... you can't go along and chop down all of their blooms every fall or you will have no new blooms next summer.  I learned this the hard way!

The Oak Leaf Hydrangea, however, can be radically taken down and perform even more beautiful the next season.  I am fortunate to have good friends with an Oak Leaf Hydrangea in their yard that is enormous!  "Mr" chops it down every fall ... and calls me to take what I want before he goes at it!!  I love that man!!  So here is to this year's crop of oakleafs.  I give them to clients, I use them in my house for fall and holiday arrangements ... I save them, just in case!!













Sometimes you just have to get in there!!




The older I get I find more and more that it's the little things in life that make me happy ...  Thank you my friends for sharing your hydrangea.

xo,

Kim


1 comment:

  1. I know this is about Hydrangeas, but I LOVE that upholstered chair print!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...